Constable of Patna killed by mob in Jharkhand | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 03, 2016-Saturday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Constable of Patna killed by mob in Jharkhand

india Updated: Oct 25, 2009 20:28 IST
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A constable of the Patna police was killed and four others, including an assistant sub-inspector of police, were seriously injured when a group of residents attacked them at Irba village under Ore-Manjhi police station in Ranchi district of Jharkhand in the wee hours of Saturday.

The injured have been admitted to the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS), Ranchi where the condition of two was stated to be critical. The deceased constable has been identified as Mohammad Ghulam.

The incident took place when a police team led by assistant sub-inspector of police Surendra Prasad Rai had gone to the village to arrest Mohammad Naushad, an active member of an inter state gang involved in theft of luxury vehicles. The police team was accompanied by Mohammad Shaheed, a close associate of Naushad.

Reports aid that the police team straight away went to Naushad’s hideout and took him into custody. As the policemen were in civvies and carrying a private vehicle without any registration number, Naushad’s acquaintances raised an alarm and told the villagers that Naushad had been kidnapped.

Though the policemen tried to convince the villagers that they were members of the Patna police, the villagers refused to budge and thrashed them black and blue. The mob also snatched their service revolvers and rescued Naushad from their clutches. The injured cops later informed their seniors in Patna, who, in turn, sought the help of the Jharkhand poloice.

The injured cops were later admitted to RIMCH. However, Mohammad Ghulam succumbed to injuries on way to the hospital. The senior police officers claimed that all the four policemen, who fell victim to mob fury, were out of danger.

Meanwhile, office bearers of the Bihar Police Men’s Association, including its state president Jitendra Narain Singh, in a statement, said that the policemen were sent to Jharkhand without prior permission from the senior police officers.

“All the five policemen were dispatched by the Kotwali SHO for Jharkhand in a private vehicle and that too without any permission either from the Senior SP or the DIG, Central range,” Singh said, adding that the Kotwali SHO should be held responsible for the death of a constable and an FIR be lodged against him.

When approached for comment, Additional Director General (headquarters) Neelmani said that it was being verified whether the policemen had obtained prior permission from the competent authority for leaving for Jharkhand.

He, however, said that the Patna police team was sent to Jharkhand following information given by a few anti-socials arrested in connection with theft and subsequent recovery of luxury vehicles.

He said that two of the three pistols snatched from the policemen had already been recovered with the help of the Jharkhand police. “The Jharkhand DGP has assured all possible help to the Patna police,” he added.