Cops find new leads in suicides | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 20, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Cops find new leads in suicides

india Updated: Sep 02, 2012 13:47 IST
Highlight Story

Police discovered a twist in the South City suicide case on Saturday when they learnt that Mukuta Mukherjee only joined her mother and sister on the roof of the apartment complex after cremating her father, Nihar. Prior to this, Kheya, the younger of the two sisters, and their mother Amita had already entered the apartment around 10 pm on August 30. “While Mukuta was busy in the crematorium, her younger sister had already entered South City with their mother,” said a senior police officer.

During investigations, it was discovered that Mukuta and Kheya had entered South City four times on the day of the incident. Their mother had only entered once, at 10 pm.

"We think that after chalking out the plan, they came to fix the spot," the police said. On Saturday, the officers of the homicide squad of the Kolkata Police detective department interrogated Rabin Chatterjee, the two sister’s table tennis coach.

"When Nihar Mukherjee was undergoing treatment at the hospital, Chatterjee visited the place, and after Mukherjee died he went to the crematorium," said an officer of the homicide department.

On the night of August 30, security guards at South City discovered the bodies of Amita (75), Mukuta (51) and Kheya (35), near Tower 1. After preliminary inquiry, cops learnt that they had committed suicide by jumping from the roof of the building. On Saturday afternoon, cops handed over the bodies to Anjan Chatterjee, a relative of the Mukherjees, who lives in Behala.

It has been learnt that when Kheya entered the building on Thursday night, with her mother, she added a ‘plus two’ beside her entry at the main gate. But the close circuit television at the reception did not show footage of the two.

"We think that Kheya tried to evade the camera since Mukuta was not present with them and she had written that all three of them were present. Later, the CCTV footage at the building from around 11.40pm showed Mukuta entering. Considering all their actions, it appeared to us that they were firm on their decision to commit suicide," said an officer at the homicide department.