Cops suspect honour-killing, detain wife | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Cops suspect honour-killing, detain wife

india Updated: Oct 11, 2011 00:31 IST
Peeyush Khandelwal
Peeyush Khandelwal
Hindustan Times

Post-mortem reports in the case in which a 26-year-old man was murdered at Niwari of Ghaziabad on late Thursday night, have revealed that the victim was first electrocuted and later his dead body was burnt to hide the crime.

The police have detained the victim's wife and mother-in-law and also launched a manhunt to nab their accomplice, who is currently absconding.

The body of Deepak Chaudhary was found in a semi-burnt condition in the fields near Niwari, Ghaziabad on Friday morning. His wife, Komal Chaudhary, 22, was also found strangulated and in an unconscious state at Jarcha, Greater Noida on Friday.

The woman survived the assault, which she said was done by Sandeep Singh, a family-friend of her parents.

So far, police investigations and post-mortem reports have revealed that the assailants had electrocuted the victim to death.

"He was given severe electric shocks, which resulted in his death. Later, his body was set afire to hide his identity," said Raghubir Lal, senior superintendent of police (SSP).

The victim and his wife had gone to Ghaziabad for some kind of medical treatment at Shastri Nagar on Thursday.

Komal told the police that Singh later joined them at Ghaziabad and offered them food laced with sedatives, after consuming which the couple fell unconscious.

Suspecting an honour-killing angle, the police have picked up the woman's mother, Sushila Chaudhary for questioning.

"During questioning, Sushila revealed that her daughter was not happy with the marriage. She said that Deepak would beat up Komal and also make her consume alcohol. So, she conspired with Singh to get rid of her husband," SSP added.

Singh, however, is yet to be traced and police teams have been dispatched to nab him.

"The victim's wife and her mother as they have emerged as prime suspects in the case. We are trying to nab Singh as he actually carried out the crime. Both the women were in constant touch with Singh a fortnight before the murder," the SSP added.

Komal had eloped with her husband and married him at Haridwar in June, 2011.

The couple later came back and settled at their in-laws house at Jani area of Meerut.

Unhappy with the marriage, her parents had threatened to kill the couple and had sent Singh several times to bring her back to Meerut.