Court seeks Delhi Police's answer on Bharti raid | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 19, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Court seeks Delhi Police's answer on Bharti raid

A Delhi court Thursday sought a reply from Delhi Police on a fresh plea seeking that a complaint be lodged against "unknown accused" for creating a ruckus during a midnight raid led by Delhi law minister Somnath Bharti.

india Updated: Jan 23, 2014 17:28 IST

A Delhi court Thursday sought a reply from Delhi Police on a fresh plea seeking that a complaint be lodged against "unknown accused" for creating a ruckus during a midnight raid led by Delhi law minister Somnath Bharti.

Earlier, police was instructed by the court to file a First Information Report (FIR) in the matter after a complaint was made January 19 by an African woman about the raid, conducted between 1am and 3am., Jan 16.

Metropolitan Magistrate Chetna Singh, on a fresh plea in the matter filed by another African woman, Thursday directed the deputy commissioner of police of south Delhi to file a report by Jan 25.

Video:Abhay Deol speaks on AAP

"An FIR has been registered against unknown accused in the Malviya Nagar police station under various charges dealing with wrongful confinement, criminal intimidation and acts intended to insult the modesty of a woman," a police officer said, speaking of action taken since the first complaint was made.

Police said Metropolitan Magistrate Chetna Singh has ordered the registration of a case against a few unknown people, who were part of the raid team led by Bharti.

A police officer said Bharti is not named in the complaint on which the court was issuing instructions Thursday.

"We will ask the complainant to identify the law minister and others in the video footage," a police official said.

The minister had gone to a house in Khirki which falls under the jurisdiction of the Malviya Nagar police station last week after receiving complaints about a prostitution and drug racket in the area.

Early Thursday, Bharti said he had no information about the orders of the court. "I have no idea of any case being registered. If anyone has filed such a case, I will go and present my stand," he told reporters.

Bharti maintained that the entire episode had been recorded on camera and it was clear that "none of our volunteers touched anyone".

"No one is paying attention to the impact of drugs on the youth. No one is paying attention to the rackets that are operating," he said, accusing Delhi Police of being hand-in-glove with those involved in the racket.