Curfew imposed in Wani after death of farmer | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 25, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Curfew imposed in Wani after death of farmer

india Updated: Dec 09, 2006 20:46 IST

Curfew was imposed on Saturday in this township of Yavatmal district that remained tense, a day after a farmer was killed in police firing.

Tension also prevailed in the neighbouring tehsil of Pandharkawda as also in Maregaon, Zari-Jamni and Ghatanji, besides Mendoli village, where its native Dinesh Ghugal's funeral was held in the evening amid heavy police security.

Villagers, who insisted that the funeral would not take place unless the district's guardian minister, Manohar Naik, attended it and promised to see that justice was delivered, had to relent before the daunting police force. Even the kin of the victim were not allowed to attend the funeral and the local media too was kept at bay.

Two sisters of Ghugal, Laxmi and Tara Modak, who were stopped outside the village by the police at the time of the funeral, demanded stringent action against policemen responsible for their brother's death and threatened to immolate themselves.

Police took into custody the Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti president Kishor Tiwari in the morning. Tiwari had on Friday threatened to stall Ghugal's funeral unless Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh attended it.

Police had to use force in the Agriculture Price Marketing Committee (APMC) market yard in Wani on Friday as the farmers, camping there with cartloads of cotton for up to four days, went berserk following an altercation with graders over fixing the grade of their produce.

Deputy Chief Minister RR Patil announced an immediate cash compensation of Rs 200,000 to the bereaved family of Dinesh and promised to quicken the pace of cotton procurement in the region. He also announced that a magisterial inquiry would be held in the firing incident.

The APMC too announced a compensation of Rs 50,000 to Dinesh's family.

Deshmukh and Patil are scheduled to visit Wani and Mendoli village on Sunday.

Irate farmers had vandalised the APMC yard, setting vehicles and a portion of the building on fire, throwing stones all around and locking some policemen inside a room as they thought the graders underweighed their produce.

The process of procurement was slow because of huge off-take of cotton and inadequate staff of the marketing federation, sub-divisional officer NS Fulzele said.