Dalit woman kidnapped in Darbhanga | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Feb 21, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Dalit woman kidnapped in Darbhanga

india Updated: Apr 26, 2007 19:32 IST
Dalit woman kidnapped in Darbhanga

Ranju Kumari is in a state of trauma today. And all because the law enforcers did not come to her rescue when she sought protection against her tormentors. The woman has allegedly been repeatedly raped by two men enjoying strong political patronage.

Ranju Kumari, a Dalit woman of Ahiyari village under Kamtaul police station, was happily married to Rambabu Paswan, a daily wage earner in Delhi. But the two men Kailash Yadav and Manoj Yadav of the same village did not let her live a happily married life.

In January this year, they kidnapped her from the village, brought her to Patna and then to Amritsar and all this while physically assaulting and keeping her in illegal confinement. She was rescued by the Pingalwala Charitable Trust in Amritsar. Today, she is in a state of shock and under treatment at the Darbhanga Medical College Hospital (DMCH).

Ranju narrated her ordeal after the AIPWA brought her to the state capital on Thursday.

She told HT, "They lifted me forcibly while I was on way to my sister’s village. They gagged me with a cotton towel and made me sit on their motorbike. I was taken to Darbhanga from there to Patna, where I was kept at a hotel near the station and was raped. Later, I was brought to Amritsar via Delhi. They kept me there for more than a month assaulting me physically every day.” Her eyes show fear and insecurity. She shivers at the very mention of her tormentors.

Her brother Lalit Paswan said the nine-member team of doctors had confirmed her rape. Psychiatrist, Dr Upendra Paswan said she was yet to come out of her trauma.

"They are influential people and own brick kilns. They also enjoy the patronage of the local MLA. In October 2006 too, Kailash Yadav and Manoj Yadav along with ten others had attacked her at a farm, but she was rescued somehow. But the officer in-charge of the Kamtaul police station did not register the case then despite our pleas. When the matter was reported to the Chief Minister at the Janata Darbar in November 2006, the officer in-charge was suspended and 12 persons were arrested in this connection. Ironically, the cop concerned joined the office two days later and the criminals too were bailed out,” Lalit said.

Meena Tiwari, AIPWA’s national secretary said the Kamtaul police registered the case on April 6 only after being pressurised by them. AIPWA’s state secretary Shashi said the criminals were still at large. “We demand arrest of criminals, dismissal of the officer in-charge of the Kamtaul police station and treatment of the victim by the government. We will launch a statewide agitation on May 15 if our demand is not fulfilled,” she said.