Dam row: 'Submit details of NCA meet' | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 28, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Dam row: 'Submit details of NCA meet'

SC directs all parties to file their replies within two weeks and rejoinders in the next fortnight, reports Satya Prakash.

india Updated: Oct 16, 2006 23:31 IST

The Supreme Court on Monday asked the Centre to place before it within two weeks minutes of the October 13 meeting of Narmada Control Authority and relief and rehabilitation sub-groups on the implementation of Shunglu Committee report on rehabilitation of the families affected by Sardar Sarovar Dam Project.

The direction came from a Bench headed by Chief Justice YK Sabharwal during hearing of Narmada Bachao Andolan's plea to stop construction for raising the dam's height till the oustees were properly rehabilitated.

The NBA alleged that Madhya Pradesh Government had not completed relief and rehabilitation of the project affected families in accordance with the Narmada River Water Tribunal award and the court's orders.

The court directed all the parties to file their replies within two weeks and rejoinders in the next fortnight and posted the matter for further hearing in December.

The NCA meeting was held to review the implementation of the directives to the Madhya Pradesh and for taking necessary measures as suggested by the Shunglu Committee.

Based on that report, the Centre had said that it would not be appropriate to stop the construction work on the dam and the court had on July 10 declined to stop construction work on the Sardar Sarovar project. Gujarat Government had said the work on the dam during monsoon would not go beyond 119 metres. The proposed maximum height of the dam is 121.92 metres.

Senior Counsel Arun Jaitley submitted on behalf of Madhya Pradesh that out of 4286 affected families, 3980 have opted for a special rehabilitation package. The state has already provided 5,000 hectares of land to the affected families, he added.

Shanti Bhushan, appearing for the NBA, opposed further construction on the ground that there were about 7,000-8,000 families who were yet to be rehabilitated. He said two hectares of land is required for each family.

Former Attorney General Ashok Desia, appearing for Gujarat, contested Bhushan's submission on the ground that Rs 2,000 crore had already been invested by the state government.

Earlier, the Gujarat government had stopped the construction work with effect from July 10 due to the in monsoon season.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had appointed a three-member committee headed by former Comptroller and Auditor General VK Shunglu on July 8 this year to oversee the progress of rehabilitation work.

email- satyaprakash @hindustantimes