David Headley will depose in 26/11 attacks case on condition of pardon

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • Updated: Dec 10, 2015 19:45 IST
Pakistani-American LeT terrorist David Headley said he was ready to depose in the 26/11 attacks case if he received pardon. (PTI Photo)

David Headley -- a Pakistani-American LeT terrorist serving a 35-year jail term in the US -- appeared via video link in a Mumbai court and said he was ready to depose in the 26/11 attacks case if he received pardon.

“I appeared here, I am ready to answer to questions regarding this event if I receive a pardon from this court,” Headley said before the court. “I accept the responsibility for my role in these offences. I also agree to be available as a witness in this court,” he added.

Under the guilty plea which he entered in March 2010, Headley had earlier agreed that when directed by the US Attorney’s Office, he would truthfully testify in any foreign judicial proceedings held by way of deposition, video-conferencing or letters rogatory.

Read | David Headley: From a video store operator in NY to 26/11 accused

He is currently serving 35 years in an American prison after being convicted of being involved in the planning and execution of the Mumbai terrorist attacks on November 26, 2008 in which 166 people were killed.

Headley is said to have visited India five times between 2006 and 2008, made maps, shot video footage and scouted several targets for the attacks including the Taj Hotel, Oberoi Hotel and Nariman House. His reconnaissance provided vital information for the 10 LeT terrorists who attacked Mumbai and their handlers.

The Mumbai court on Novemebr 19 had made Headley an accused in the 26/11 terror attacks case and directed that he be produced before it via video-conferencing on December 10.

(With inputs from PTI)

Read | David Headley confesses in memoir: ‘LeT prepared me for Mumbai attacks’

also read

Shoaib Hussain: From a visa agent to a Pakistani spy
Show comments