Dawood dossier: Cong calls it face-saver, BJP says it's 'irrefutable'
Opposition Congress on Saturday alleged that the documentary evidence of Mumbai blasts accused Dawood Ibrahim's presence in Pakistan was just a 'face-saver' by the government while the ruling BJP asked Pakistan to come out of 'denial'.india Updated: Aug 22, 2015 13:52 IST
Opposition Congress on Saturday alleged that the documentary evidence of Mumbai blasts accused Dawood Ibrahim's presence in Pakistan was just a "face-saver" by the government while the ruling BJP asked Pakistan to come out of "denial."
Reacting to the Hindustan Times report that Indian security agencies have documents to prove that Dawood is in Pakistan, Congress leader Manish Tewari said the "timing" suggested that the government was using the evidence as a face-saver following the "mess" in the NSA talks.
"The question is what will you do with the evidence. If Pakistan won't hand over Dawood to you, do you have the capacity to get him yourself? " Tewari asked
The Congress leader told ANI that successive governments, both from the UPA and the NDA, have handed over "dossier after dossier" to Pakistani authorities.
Another Congress leader, Abhishek Manu Singhvi said, "To hide a omnipresent truth makes Pakistan look foolish. To give up a terrorist like that will only increase the prestige and status of Pakistan.
BJP leader Siddharth Nath Singh said the dossier was "irrefutable" evidence that the neighbouring country was hosting the global terrorist.
"Pakistan must come out of its denial mode now," he said.
HT reported that Indian security agencies have documents to prove Dawood, wife Mehjabeen Shaikh, son Moeen Nawaz and daughters Mahrukh, Mehreen and Mazia are based in Pakistan with the syndicate chief currently operating out of upscale Clifton neighborhood of Karachi. The agencies are in possession of an April 2015 telephone bill in the name of his wife Mehjabeen with D-13, Block-4, Karachi Development Authority, Sch-5, Clifton, as the installation address.
Earlier this week, Pakistan high commissioner Abdul Basit said there was no question of handing over Dawood as he was not in his country.
Interpol has a red corner notice, or an international arrest warrant, out against Dawood and a host of his associates for their involvement in the 1993 serial blasts that killed more than 257 Indians and injured hundreds more.
Read:Pak can deny hosting Dawood despite Indian evidence, say HT readers