Underworld don Dawood Ibrahim's name may not figure in the chargesheet being prepared for the November 26 terror strikes in the city, a top official said in Mumbai on Monday.
"Dawood's name will not figure in the chargesheet," a senior Crime Branch official told PTI, refusing to divulge further details.
According to police, investigating officials strongly suspected the involvement of Dawood as the explosives used during the Mumbai attacks were similar to that of 1993 blasts in the city carried out by members of gang led by Dawood who allegedly lives in Pakistan.
Police had said that at least 12 Pakistani nationals would be named as wanted accused in the chargesheet to be submitted by the Crime Branch by January 24. However, it may not contain Dawood's name.
The Crime Branch has set itself a deadline of 60 days within which it will file its chargesheet. According to the Crime Branch, Lashkar-e-Taiba founder Hafiz Saeed and the Pakistan-based outfit's top functionaries Zaki-ur Rehman Lakhvi, Yosuf Muzzamil, Abu Hamza and Kahfa allegedly played prominent role in hatching the conspiracy, training the terrorists and executing the attacks.
The police also suspect that top LeT commander Zarar Shah, reportedly captured in the crackdown on militants earlier this month in Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir, acted as Public Relations Officer for the banned outfit and basically dealt in communications.
Saeed, founder of Jamaat-ud-Dawa, an LeT front proscribed by the United Nations, allegedly gave motivational and emotional speeches to the group of ten terrorists while they were getting training in Muridke near Lahore before striking the country's financial capital, they said.