US officials downplayed the latest travel advisory issued by the Department of State warning US citizens of “continued possibility of terrorist attacks throughout India” during the current holiday season.
“There were eight lakh American visitors to India last year and it is our duty to keep them informed,” said Jamesh Herman, Minister of Counselor for Consular Affairs.
The US government, he said, issues advisories based on information from a variety of sources and the advisory is to keep them informed about where to go and when to go.
“The November 2008 attacks in Mumbai provided a vivid reminder that hotels and other public places are especially attractive targets for terrorist groups. US citizens are urged always to practice good security, maintain a heightened situational awareness and a low profile,” stated the travel alert issued on September 12 A day before, the US had said that there is a possibility of terrorist attacks across India as the country enters the festival season.