‘Dead’ man from Kerala temple fire wakes up, family cremates wrong body
A ‘dead’ man woke up in a hospital in Kerala while his family performed his last rites on Tuesday, believing they had found him among those who died in the temple fire accident in Kollam district.india Updated: Apr 13, 2016 00:11 IST
A ‘dead’ man woke up in a hospital in Kerala while his family performed his last rites, believing they had found him among those who died in the temple fire accident in Kollam district.
Pramod, who was employed with the contractor who organised the banned fireworks display at the Puttingal temple in Paravur, was among the unconscious recuperating at a hospital in Attingal, about 25 km away. He regained consciousness on Monday night and managed to contact his family on Tuesday.
His family however mistakenly identified another corpse as his given that many of the bodies recovered from the accident site were covered in black ash.
Authorities are now uncertain of the identity of the body cremated by the family.
For their part, the family cannot believe Pramod is alive. And neither can Pramod.
“For me it is almost like a rebirth. Right in the middle of the blast site I don’t know how I survived,” said the 29-year-old who received burn injures and complains of a hearing problem.
A fire broke out early on Sunday morning at the Puttingal temple where a fireworks display went awry, leading to a big explosion and a raging fire that damaged buildings in the areas. Temple authorities had conducted the show despite civic authorities denying permission.
The crime branch registered a case against the temple trust, leading officials of the administration, including the president, surrendering to the police. The Kerala High Court rapped the state government for failing to ensure the pyrotechnic show didn’t take place, while hearing a plea for a ban on fireworks display in temple functions on Tuesday.