Dead NC man’s family asks court for CBI probe | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 09, 2016-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Dead NC man’s family asks court for CBI probe

india Updated: Oct 26, 2011 00:31 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

The family of Syed Mohammad Yusuf, the National Conference worker who allegedly died in police custody last month, has approached a local court here seeking a CBI probe.

Yusuf’s son Syed Talib Hussain asked the court of Special Judge anti-corruption to direct the CBI to file cases against J&K chief minister Omar Abdullah, his father and Union minister Farooq Abdullah, minister of state for home Nasir Aslam Wani and inspector general of police (crime branch) Raja Ajaz Ali.

The petition, filed on Saturday, says the family fears the case has been “hushed up”. The case has been listed for hearing on October 28.

Omar Abdullah had summoned Yusuf, 61, and two other NC workers, Mohammad Yousuf Bhat and Abdul Salam Rishi, to his home for questioning on September 29. These two had alleged that Yusuf had taken a bribe of R1.2 crore from them, promising them berths in the state ministry and legislative council. After the meeting, Abdullah allegedly handed over the men to the Crime Branch. Yusuf died 12 hours later.

A government autopsy claimed Yusuf died of cardio-respiratory arrest. But Hussain claimed his father was tortured at Abdullah’s residence.

Hussain also said his father had asked Abdullah to defer the questioning until Farooq Abdullah returned from a foreign trip.

“But Omar Abdullah and Wani did not wait and virtually ordered and arranged the gruesome murder of my father through their subordinates and other respondents,” Hussain said.