In a horrifying incident, a dead snake was found in a packet of curry served by a canteen at the Medical College Hospital in Thiruvananthapuram on Wednesday, leading to its closure by the Food Safety Authority.
The snake, which looked like a hatchling, was found in the green peas curry bought by a woman to be given to her son undergoing treatment in the hospital, police said.
When she opened the sachet in which the curry was served, she found to her shock the dead reptile lying in it.
She informed the hospital authorities of the matter and a protesting crowd gathered at the canteen soon.
The hospital authorities then informed the police and food safety officials of the issue and they pacified the irate crowd promising firm action against the canteen operators.
They also ordered closure of the canteen and took away samples of the food items for analysis and further action.