Finding fault in the investigating agency’s probe into the 1987 Hashimpura massacre case, a Delhi court has said the prosecution failed to bring reliable material to establish the identity of the culprits leading to the release of 16 accused PAC personnel.
Reacting to the verdict at a gathering of survivors and their kin on Tuesday, former chief justice of Delhi high court Rajinder Sachar said the matter will be challenged before a higher forum. The prosecution failed to bring reliable material to establish the culprits’ identities, the court said in its March 21 judgment. The court said it was not clear as to on what basis the names of the 19 accused had been selected for prosecution. Charges were framed against 17 persons, including one deceased.
“The accused cannot be convicted on the basis of scanty, unreliable and faulty investigation which has gaps and holes,” additional sessions Judge Sanjay Jindal said. “Accused were arrested after years of the incident but the basis for such arrest has not been explained during trial. There are no disclosure statements or recoveries affected from any of the accused,” the 216-page verdict read.
According to the prosecution, PAC personnel arrested 42 people from Hashimpura on May 22, 1987 and took them away in a truck belonging to the 41st battalion PAC. The PAC men took them to Murad Nagar canal and Hindon river and shot all of them.