Delhi gang-rape victim's injuries were irreparable, say docs | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Delhi gang-rape victim's injuries were irreparable, say docs

india Updated: Dec 02, 2013 18:14 IST
Rhythma Kaul
delhi gang-rape

“In my 34 years of experience as a surgeon I have not come across a more brutal assault on a person. It was man-made and irreparable,” says Dr Sunil Jain, the senior surgeon at Safdarjung Hospital who operated upon the 23-year-old December 16 gang-rape victim.

Recalling the moment when he was called for the emergency case in the middle of the night on a Sunday, Dr Jain says, “She had severe injuries to her private parts and abdomen, the magnitude of which we realized only when we wheeled her into the operation theatre.”

“It was a foregone conclusion from day one that she will not survive because of the nature of her injuries,” he added.

According to the doctors who treated her, the only answer to her condition was an intestinal transplant. Though it was the answer, no one had ever attempted it.

“Nobody had ever seen a transplant; we had only read about it in medical textbooks,” says Dr Jain.

The doctors had not expected her to survive for long because of the extent of her injuries, but the strong-willed girl sustained in that critical condition for nearly two weeks.

"She otherwise was a healthy lady and her body reserves were good. Mentally also she was very tough. She knew she wouldn’t survive but still would keep repeating that if she survived she would like to complete her course."

The fact that even 10 days after the injury, she narrated her ordeal in verbatim to the magistrate speaks a lot about her strength and determination. So does the fact that despite the injuries that should have killed her instantly, she survived 13 days, felt the doctors.

"She was a bold lady but her boldness could not pull her out of her trauma," said Dr Jain.

Doctors are not supposed to get emotional about their patients, which is why they do not have much to say on the court’s verdict. "We did our job, the court has done its job," said a senior doctor at the hospital, requesting anonymity.