Delhi gangrape accused claim video clip innocence
Two accused in the December 16 gang rape case have claimed that they had video footage on their mobile phones to prove that they were not present on the bus in which a 23-year-old paramedical student was brutally raped on December 23 last year.india Updated: Apr 12, 2013 01:31 IST
Two accused in the December 16 gang rape case have claimed that they had video footage on their mobile phones to prove that they were not present on the bus in which a 23-year-old paramedical student was brutally raped on December 23 last year.
AP Singh, counsel for accused Vinay Sharma, filed an application before special judge Yogesh Khanna, claiming that his client had been falsely implicated in the incident and that neither his client nor another accused Pawan Gupta were present on the bus when the incident took place.
The lawyer told the judge that he moved the the application after Vinay informed him that his mobile had a video-clip, which allegedly shows that he and Pawan were at a music function in south Delhi when the incident occurred.
“Accused Vinay’s mobile contains a video recording and photos that can establish that he and Pawan were not in the bus on the night of incident,” he told the judge, while seeking permission to make a CD of the video.
The judge told Singh he was free to make the footage from the mobile phone recording, claiming that the matter was between him and his client.
“It is a very important piece of defence for the accused, as the mobile contains some exclusive information, which can prove the innocence of my client,” the lawyer submitted before the court. The counsel stated that the police could not claim that the video was being planted as the mobile phones had been lying in their custody ever since the arrests. “He (Vinay) has not played any role in the c offence, as he was not in the bus,” he said.