Delhi: Woman hacked 27 times by neighbour, dead | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 23, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Delhi: Woman hacked 27 times by neighbour, dead

india Updated: Jan 14, 2015 11:53 IST
Punjabi Bagh murder

The police on Tuesday arrested a failed businessman for the murder of a 62-year-old woman who was hacked multiple times at her west Delhi home on Monday. They had earlier suspected her sacked domestic help to be behind the murder.

The man, the woman’s neighbour, had suffered losses in business and murdered her with the motive of robbery.

Sulochana Bansal was hacked 27 times with a meat cleaver. The attacker had locked the woman’s grandson, an eyewitness, in the bathroom.

Police said accused Anurag Jain had plotted the murder weeks in advance and done a recce of the house.

The police found a red Pulsar motorcycle without a number plate near the house. DCP (west) Pushpender Kumar said they managed to locate the owner through the engine number.

"We found that the owner was Anurag Jain. When we first spoke to him, he said he had parked his motorcycle near the house because it had a flat tyre but could not explain why the number plates were removed. We arrested him", Kumar said.

During interrogation, Jain broke down and confessed that he and his father were suffering from financial losses. Jain knew that the Bansal family was financially sound and thought he would be able to get a large amount of money and jewellery from the home.

Jain bought knives from Paschim Vihar. He also stitched a mask to conceal his identity.

Kumar said that on Monday morning, he scaled the boundary wall of the Bansal family’s house and disconnected the two CCTV cameras. He could not disconnect two other cameras because they was placed at a height. At about 11 am, when the woman’s husband left the house— leaving the door open—he entered the house. Sulochana Bansal noticed him and raised an alarm but he chased her and stabbed her.

He fled the house with cash, jewellery and the DVR that had the recordings of the CCTVs. But Jain had to leave in a hurry because Bansal’s daughter-in-law rang the bell and left the motorcycle behind," added Kumar.

The daughter-in-law found Bansal in a pool of blood and rushed her to the Maharaja Agrasen hospital, where she was declared brought dead. Police said they would study CCTV footage recovered from the accused.