Digvijaya hits out at critics over Karkare statement | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 18, 2017-Friday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Digvijaya hits out at critics over Karkare statement

Congress leader Digvijaya Singh claimed that the call records being talked about so far relate to the forenoon and not to the evening of 26/11 when ATS chief Hemant Karkare had reportedly told him of threats from right wing groups hours before he was killed in a terror strike.

india Updated: Dec 17, 2010 01:17 IST
HT Correspondent

Congress leader Digvijaya Singh claimed that the call records being talked about so far relate to the forenoon and not to the evening of 26/11 when ATS chief Hemant Karkare had reportedly told him of threats from right wing groups hours before he was killed in a terror strike.

His reiteration, that he had spoken to Karkare, came even as Maharashtra home minister RR Patil said that there was no evidence of any record of the purported conversation.

Singh did not refer to Patil’s statement but shot back: “Why should I lie?’’ He dismissed suggestions that Patil’s party and Congress ally, the NCP was playing politics on the issue.

Singh blamed the media for hyping — and BJP for politicising — his statement that he had nailed Pakistan for Mumbai terror strike, adding that Karkare was upset that the BJP was questioning his integrity in the Malegoan blast probe.

“If LK Advani questions Karkare’s integrity or Rajnath Singh visited Malegaon-blast accused Pragya Singh Thakur, they were being national. But if I reiterate what is well known ... I am treated as pro-Pakistan and anti-national.’’

Singh vowed to continue his battle with the BJP. “My fight against the BJP and Hindu and Muslim fundamentalists will be relentless ... I was the first to talk about the BJP’s involvement in (various) bomb blasts. That is why they don’t like me and I’m happy about it.’’