A Special court on Friday handed over custody of two suspected Indian Mujahideen (IM) operatives Tehsin Akhtar and Zia-Ur-Rahman alias Waqas to the National Investigation Agency (NIA) in Hyderabad in relation to the February 2013 twin blasts at Dilsukhnagar.
Both men had been produced before District Judge I S Mehta after expiry of their police custody in connection with a separate case of criminal conspiracy to wage war on the country, which had also been lodged by the NIA in New Delhi.
The IM operatives are wanted by law enforcement agencies across the country, including the Mumbai ATS, who are also in line to be given custody of the duo.
NIA's special prosecutor from Hyderabad M Venkatadri and public prosecutor Ahmed Khan moved a separate plea before the court seeking three days transit remand. This was done so the two suspects could be brought before the NIA court in Nampally, Hyderabad in connection with twin blasts that took place in Dilsukhnagar on February 21, 2013, which had claimed 16 lives.
Appearing for both accused, advocate Akram Khan said the NIA's plea to take them to their Hyderabad branch was nothing more than the agency's tactic to keep the accused in custody beyond the maximum period permitted by law, sources said. There was no evidence to connect Tehsin and Waqas with the Dilsukhnagar blasts case, he added.
The court, however, allowed NIA's plea. Both accused have been sent to the special court in Nampally, Hyderabad. The agency was granted three days transit remand for both accused, and Venkatadri was directed to produce them before the said court and thereafter he is further directed to produce both the accused persons back in Delhi after completion of investigation.
The court also kept pending the plea of ATS Mumbai seeking custody of Tehsin and Waqas in connection with various cases lodged against them there.