Do not send me to jail, pleads Dutt | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jan 24, 2017-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Do not send me to jail, pleads Dutt

india Updated: Jan 16, 2007 03:08 IST
Highlight Story

Actor Sanjay Dutt, held guilty under the Arms Act in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, has moved the designated TADA court, seeking his release and pleading that he be released on a bond of good conduct.

The actor came to court and submitted his petition before registrar V. Gavas and appeared before designated judge P.D. Kode who decided to hear his plea on January 18. On that day, the actor will also plead for more time to surrender.

Dutt came armed with affidavits filed by actor Dilip Kumar, former sheriff of Mumbai Nana Chudasama, social workers Yusuf Merchant and Vipula Kadri. All the four have vouched for Sanjay’s good conduct.

The actor defended the need to arm himself in 1993, saying he was under great mental stress since his family had received threatening calls. In his petition, Dutt said he used to accompany his father as an MP to various places for relief work but the entire family had been criticised for supporting the minority community.

He also talked about his career and how he took to drugs after the death of his mother Nargis Dutt.

Dutt also said his wife Richa had died of cancer and that he had his daughter Trishala, a law student in the US, to take care of.

The actor also drew the court's attention to the fact he has been making socially relevant films like Lage Raho Munnabhai.

Under section four of the Probation of Offenders Act, the actor can get temporary reprieve as the court has the discretion to release a convict on bond of good conduct instead of sentencing him to jail.

tags