Dropout girls to find school again | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 10, 2016-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Dropout girls to find school again

india Updated: Aug 13, 2006 01:08 IST
Highlight Story

THE GOVERNMENT has finally decided to do its bit to increase literacy among girls of the marginalised community. To achieve the target, the government has decided to launch the Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya (KGBV) project. And to implement the scheme the Mahila Samakhya and the Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan will be utilised.    

Adolescent girls who have dropped out after class V, in the past 2-3 years will be covered under this scheme. Around 75 per cent girl would be from SC, ST, OBC and minority community, while the remaining 25 per cent will be for those belonging to BPL families.

The project will be formally launched at a function on Sunday. State Primary Education Minister Kiranpal Singh and State project director, Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan, JS Deepak will be present.   

Addressing a press conference on Saturday, State project director, Mahila Samakhya, Rashmi Sinha, said under the KGBV scheme, 1000 new residential schools would be opened across the country. She added that 128 such schools would be opened in the educationally backward blocks of Uttar Pradesh.

Mahila Samakhya would implement the scheme in Sitapur, Allahabad, Varanasi, Gorakhpur, Jaunpur, Mathura, Mau, Muzaffarnagar, Pratapgarh and Saharanpur. 

The scheme would focus on out-of-school ‘older’ girls, she said. Sinha added that those who had failed to complete their primary school and would be given admission in Class VI, VII and VIII in the residential schools, where access to quality education would be ensured. The project would also help them in continuing education after class VIII and impart vocational training to make them financially independent, Sinha added.

tags