Drunk man turns knife eater!
A drunken man had to be rushed to hospital following an unsuccessful attempt to swallow a sword, an act which he saw on TV.india Updated: Aug 04, 2006 13:22 IST
Let alone kids, even grown ups may now have to be told every time on television, "don't try this at home" after a drunken man had to be rushed to hospital following an unsuccessful attempt to swallow a sword, an act which he saw on TV.
Ratko Dankovic, 23, had been drinking with mates while watching a magician perform a sword swallowing trick on the television.
After Dankovic told buddies that the sword swallowing was easy and anyone could do it, they then challenged him to prove it and bet 10 pounds if he could do it.
After swallowing the blade he collapsed and was rushed to the hospital where an X-ray, revealed the metal. Surgeons who opened him up to get it out also found eight nails, two spoons and a pair of clothes pegs.
His friend Aleksander Tadic, 25, said, "He was standing in a corner swallowing this stuff with his head tilted back. We thought it was an act and that he was hiding it in his pockets. We only realised something was wrong when he collapsed and we couldn’t find it."
Ratko, of Izize, South West Serbia, drank a bottle of local spirit, Rakia, before his stunt.
"I don't remember a thing until I woke up with a sore throat and 30 stitches on a cut on my abdomen," the Sun quoted him as saying.
Dr Maja Gulan, from Izize hospital, where Ratko is still being treated, said: "He was lucky."