DU School of Open Learning still in a state of confusion, admission forms not out yet
The school attracts close to 1.5 lakh applicants each yearindia Updated: Jun 11, 2014 09:13 IST
The confusion over admissions to Delhi University’s School of Open Learning (SOL) does not seem to be coming to an end any time soon.
The university is yet to declare the admission schedule or even the courses that SOL will offer this year. The school attracts close to 1.5 lakh applicants each year and caters to mostly those students who want to complete their education while they work.
The controversy over SOL started in May when the admission schedule was postponed indefinitely. The process was supposed to start on May 27.
According to officials at SOL, the main issue that cropped up was an objection raised by the University Grants Commission (UGC) against the university’s decision to keep SOL in the three-year mode while the regular colleges were shifted to the four-year degree mode.
The staff council of SOL has also spoken out against the inordinate delay.
“Every day we are having to send away hundreds of parents from our gates as the forms have not yet come out. There is no clarity and even we are not sure what is happening,” said Janmejoy Khunitya, a member of the staff council.
According to sources in the university, there were plans to scrap bachelor’s courses from SOL and introduce vocational courses instead. Massive protests were carried out by the teachers of SOL after they became aware of the plans.
There, however, is still no clarity on whether the honours courses in SOL will be scrapped or not.
“Since the university is giving a bachelors degree without honours in regular colleges, it is possible that the honours courses will be scrapped and only BCS, BA and B Com will remain. We have no information as to what will happen. Apparently, the university has received a letter from the UGC but nothing has been communicated to us so far,” said an SOL official.