EC asks UP govt to launch drive against arms | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 08, 2016-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

EC asks UP govt to launch drive against arms

india Updated: Apr 04, 2009 18:50 IST

PTI
Highlight Story

Taking serious note of display of arms during a poll procession in Sultanpur district, the Election Commission has directed the UP government to launch a special drive against illegal arms and ammunition."It has been brought to the notice of the EC that some persons have displayed arms during a procession in support of a candidate at Sultanpur last month. The Commission has taken a serious view in the matter," EC's Principal Secretary Shangara Ram said in a letter to the chief secretary recently."Display of arms in procession in support of a candidate during campaign period is tantamount to threat and intimidation to voters," the principal secretary said.

"Taking due congnisance of the aforesaid incident, the Commission directs that no individual or group of persons can be allowed to display arms during a procession on any meeting in support of candidate, under any circumstances," he said.In order to avoid recurrence of such incidents in future, a drive should be launched to unearth and seize unlicensed arms and ammunition, the poll body said.

"A very thorough search and seizure by the state police of unlicensed arms and places of illegal manufacture of arms and ammunition should be carried out and persons involved should be arrested."While unearthing and seizure of unlicensed weapons is a normal ongoing responsibility of the police, it shall be vigorously intensified during the election period," the principal secretary said.