The Election Commission on Monday asked Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray to explain his reported comments that non-Maharashtrians would not be allowed into the state once his party comes to power.
The EC gave the MNS leader time till October 15 morning to respond to the show cause notice on a complaint from the Maharashtra BJP last week.
The EC said he appeared to have violated the model code of conduct and the Representation of People Act. The MNS chief was quoted to have declared that once his party came to power, “only Marathi boys and girls in Maharashtra” would get jobs in the state.
Meanwhile, Raj on Monday declared that his party would never contest any future Lok Sabha elections. He also praised Prime Minster Narendra Modi saying he is the ‘last hope’ for getting the country into order but added that he was unhappy with his ‘Gujarat centric’ approach.
“I have decided that MNS will never contest a Lok Sabha poll anymore. This decision comes from the belief that national parties should contest parliamentary elections and leave assembly for regional parties like us,” Thackeray said.
He added: “I am still unhappy about his Gujarat centric approach and inability to rise above it as India’s Prime Minister.”