Electrocution: Jewellery store owners arrested for negligence | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 29, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Electrocution: Jewellery store owners arrested for negligence

india Updated: Jul 23, 2013 00:03 IST
HT correspondent

Two days after a filmmaker was electrocuted in Green Park outside a jewellery store, the police have arrested the shop owners. A case of death due to negligence has been registered at the Safdurjung Enclave police station.

The father-son duo, Kamlesh Bansal and Dhruv Dhawan Bansal, were arrested on Monday after police investigation revealed that wires from the compressors of three split ACs, installed near the gate in their shop, caused the electrocution. The two own Jwell Den, the jewellery store, in the market.

They have been released on bail as the offence under which they have been arrested is bailable.

"A forensic team inspected the spot and found that the iron gate was carrying high-voltage current as it was in contact with the live wires. The Bansals had made no effort to cover the exposed wires," said a senior investigating officer.

Anand Bhaskar Morla, a filmmaker and a resident of Saket, died on Saturday afternoon when the left rear door of his Tata Nano car which he was holding touched the building's gate.

Amit Bhargava, a close friend of Morla, said the owners of the jewellery shop in their defence had claimed that the ACs were not working for the past three to four years. "But when I visited the spot, I found that all the ACs were working. Local shopkeepers told me that a few days ago, a guard of the building had also suffered an electric shock after brushing past the iron gate during rain," said Bhargava.

He said his friend was denied medical care by AIIMS and Safdarjung hospitals when they rushed him there.