Enquiry in Gavit DA case will be over in 3 months: Govt to HC

  • HT Correspondent, Hindustan Times, Mumbai
  • Updated: Dec 02, 2014 21:03 IST

Maharashtra government on Tuesday informed the Bombay high court (HC) that the anti-corruption bureau (ACB) will complete the preliminary enquiry into former NCP minister Vijaykumar Gavit's alleged disproportionate assets case within the next three months.

The division bench headed by justice AS Oka and justice AS Gadkari was hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) seeking action against Gavit and alleging that he has assets disproportionate to his known sources of income.

An affidavit filed previously by Sunil Bhabad, police inspector, ACB in Dhule said that between 2009 and 2012 the ACB had 'received a number of applications' levelling charges of financial impropriety against Gavit and his brother.

The ACB had first initiated a discreet enquiry, following which the state had given a go-ahead to the ACB to conduct an open enquiry. The deputy superintendent of police of the ACB in Dhule is heading the probe.

Government pleader SN Patil on Tuesday also informed the HC that the state government had appointed two officers- police inspectors of the ACB from Nashik and Jalgaon- to assist the investigating officer.

This was done in keeping with the HC's suggestion to expedite the probe, Patil told court.

The HC has directed the team to submit a report every fortnight to the ACB director general. The bench also directed the state to submit a progress report to HC on January 12.

The counsel for the Income Tax department also submitted an affidavit pointing out that the scrutiny into the cases of Gavit and his wife were still pending for hearing before HC. The matter will next be heard on January 12.

also read

Bring youngsters who have left home back to mainstream: Mehbooba
Show comments