Preliminary evidence suggests the gunmen who stormed a police station and killed seven people in Gurdaspur earlier this week came from Pakistan, Union home minister Rajnath Singh told the Rajya Sabha on Thursday.
He also said that India will give a befitting reply to any terror activity launched from across the border, reiterating his statement made after the daring terror attack to strike Punjab in decades.
"Any attempts to attack the unity and integrity of India will get a befitting reply. We are dedicated to stopping all terror activities being done from across the border," he said while making a statement in the Upper House on the terrorist attack in Dinanagar town on Monday.
The 11-hour siege ended after government forces surrounded the building and gunned down the three militants suspected to be from Pakistan-based Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT). The area’s superintendent of police (detective), Baljit Singh, was among those killed, apart from three security personnel and three civilians.
The home minister informed the Rajya Sabha that the three terrorists might have infiltrated taking advantage of heavy rains and swollen 'nullahs' along the India-Pakistan border.
In his statement, made amid din and anti-government slogans by the opposition, Singh also lauded the Punjab Police for neutralising the three terrorists.
Singh said that information was being gathered from the Global Positioning System device seized from the terrorists who, he said, also had a night vision device.
Singh said that the Border Security Force was always on the alert, though some terrorist might have succeeded in infiltrating due to heavy rains and swelling of rivers and nullahs on the border.