Ex-navy man kills wife, child | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 09, 2016-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Ex-navy man kills wife, child

india Updated: Mar 31, 2010 01:15 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times
Highlight Story

A former merchant navy security supervisor, Rajesh Kumar (42), was arrested for allegedly killing his wife and daughter on Tuesday.

Kumar, a resident of Anamitra – B Tower in Prakruti Park, off Ghodbunder Road, allegedly killed his wife Sangeetha (41) due to frustration and incessant quarrels over non-payment of debts.

The police said Kumar had joined the Indian Navy as a mechanic in 1987 and retired as a petty officer in 2002. He worked as security supervisor with the merchant navy since 2005.

“Kumar had been unemployed since December 2009 after his contract with merchant navy got over. He had a housing loan of Rs 30 lakh and another loan of Rs 10 lakh.”

“He was frustrated as he wasn’t able to repay the debts and there were constant fights between husband and wife. In a fit of rage, Kumar must have hit her with an iron crusher,” said deputy commissioner of police (Zone V) Ashok Morale.

“He also planned to kill his two daughters — Ayushi (16) and Tanishka (5). He hit Tanishka with the crusher but Ayushi, who was sleeping in the other bedroom, screamed and he came to his senses,” he added.

After hitting his wife and daughter, Kumar called up the building’s security guard.

“He called me around 7.30 am to his flat. I saw madam (Sangeetha) was on the bed covered with a sheet,” said security guard Surinder Tiwari.

“Ayushi was carrying Tanishka in her arms. He asked me to call the ambulance and the police,” Tiwari added.

“Since I didn’t have their numbers, I called up the secretary and committee member. We, along with Kumar, took madam and Tanishka in the member’s car to the Thane Civil Hospital.”

While Sangeetha was declared dead before admission, Tanishka was shifted to a private hospital. She died in the afternoon.

“We don’t know why he killed his wife and daughter. We haven’t interacted with the family much as they had shifted here less than a year ago,” said building secretary N Vaidyanathan.

“At least an hour must have passed before he intimated the security guard because the wife had lost a lot of blood and the pillow was soaked with it,” he added.

Kumar’s relatives are on their way to Thane from Agra for the funeral. Kumar will be produced in court on Wednesday.