Factfile of the Force India team
Here is a factfile of the Force India team tracing the team since its inception till its podium finish in the Belgian Grand Prix.india Updated: Aug 30, 2009 23:49 IST
Force India factfile:
* The Force India team was formed in October 2007.
* It is owned by businessmen Vijay Mallya and Michiel Mol.
* Mallya and Mol bought the Spyker F1 team in 2007 for €88 million and renamed it Force India.
* Initially the team was called Jordan Grand Prix in 1991, which became Midland F1 Racing in 2006 and soon after Spyker Cars, towards the end of the 2006 season, before finally being renamed as Force India.
* The Force India team heads include Colin Kolles as team principal, Michiel Mol as director and Mike Gascoyne as the Chief Technology Officer.
* Force India also uses the Indian flag in its team logo.
* The Force India's Formula One car for the 2009 Formula One season is the Force India VJM02. The VJM-02 is powered by Mercedes-Benz engines.
* The team made its debut in the 2008 Australian Grand Prix.
* Force India went through 29 races without a point.
* At Monaco, 2008 and 2009 Chinese Grand Prix Adrian Sutil almost secured Force India's first points before colliding with Kimi Räikkönen in the first instance and crashing in the second. In the 2009 Chinese Grand Prix Sutil was holding sixth place in front of Lewis Hamilton and Timo Glock.
* At the 2009 German Grand Prix, Sutil qualified at the 7th place, the best grid place in the team's history uptil then.
* Force India gained their first pole position in Formula One on August 29, 2009 at the Belgian Grand Prix in Spa with Giancarlo Fisichella posting a time of 1:46.308.
* Force India won their first Formula One world championship points and podium place when Giancarlo Fisichella finished second in the 2009 Belgian Grand Prix.
* India is set to host its very first Grand Prix in Delhi in 2011.