A fire broke out in the X-ray wing of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in New Delhi in the early hours of Friday, damaging some equipment in two rooms. There were no reports of casualties.
An accidental fire was also reported to have broken out in the Bank of Baroda office at Parliament Street.
"The fire broke out in the the bank office at around 0425 hrs, following a blast in the UPS of a computer," fire brigade sources said.
Ten fire tenders were called on to put out the blaze.
The fire at AIIMS broke out at around 2.30 am in the X-ray wing situated on the ground floor. The fire brigade, which reached the spot at 3 am, doused the fire and evacuated patients from the emergency ward in the adjacent room and from the ICU ward located right above.
"There was a lot of smoke and the patients were scared. We had to break some windows to let out the smoke. The fire fighting operation lasted about two hours," said RC Sharma, chief fire officer, Delhi Fire Brigade. Sixteen fire tenders were pressed into service to douse the flames, he said.
"Initial reports indicate the cause of fire could be an electrical short circuit. But we have yet to reach any conclusion," he said.