Timely warning by disembarking passengers helped around 100 people in the Rameswaram-Chennai Express escape unhurt after a fire broke out in the train Tuesday.
Passengers, who got down at the Tambaram junction near here, noticed smoke emanating from one of the compartments and warned the station authorities. Though the train had left for Egmore, the officials contacted the train driver and asked him to stop immediately.
As the train stopped, passengers in the two compartments rapidly exited the train. Though the fire was put out immediately, some seats and berths in the compartments were damaged.
An electrical short circuit in a battery charger in one of the air-conditioned compartments is said to have caused the fire.
The stranded passengers were taken to Egmore in a suburban train.