SEVEN STUDENTS were hospitalised when they were taken ill after consuming food at their hostel in Mhow Road area of the City on Thursday night.
Fifteen inmates of Balaji Hostel had a dinner of ‘urad daal’ and ‘brinjal sabzi’ at the usual time last night soon after which a few of them started vomiting, Sushiladevi Bansal College Director Dr P C Sharma said. They were immediately taken to the nearby Unique Hospital where seven of them were hospitalised and put on saline dose even as all of them underwent check-up as precautionary measure, Dr Sharma said. “We have set up an inquiry committee,” he said.
The students – one from second year and others from first year - are stable now and only three of them, who were already sick, would be kept under observation while others would be discharged soon, hospital sources said.
Hostel owner Madan Joshi said, “The cook was hired since last month and no such incident had taken place earlier. The entire hospitalisation expenses will be borne by us.” Joshi also spoke to parents of the students who come from different places, some even from outside the State.
Dr Sharma said, “The hostel was not recommended by us but these students chose to stay there. I have also personally spoken with parents of all students. The hostel owners have cooperated and there are no problems as such.”
The good thing is that the boys are in good condition, he added. One student, who had come to meet his friend at the hospital, on condition of anonymity said, “There are frequent complaints about the quality of the food at the hostel.
Otherwise, the hostel has good facilities, only food is a problem on and off.”
Meanwhile, the hospital administration informed the Sarafa police station and students’ statements were taken on Friday.
However, no case was registered against anybody till the filing of this report.