Formula One: Kubica, Heidfeld stunned by BMW pullout | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Nov 20, 2017-Monday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Formula One: Kubica, Heidfeld stunned by BMW pullout

Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica admitted on Thursday that they were shocked when they learned that German team BMW was pulling out of Formula One.

india Updated: Aug 20, 2009 23:04 IST

Nick Heidfeld and Robert Kubica admitted on Thursday that they were shocked when they learned that German team BMW was pulling out of Formula One.

Talking to reporters in Spain on the eve of this weekend's European Grand Prix, Polish driver Kubica send he knew nothing at all until he read the news late last month while browsing on the internet.

He said: "It was quite a shock, an unexpected one. At the Hungarian Grand Prix, we knew nothing. You could feel maybe something because I had a few talks at the Hungaroring about the future and I saw some strange situations.

"But I was never expecting such a big decision and I think everybody is still a bit worried about their futures."

German drive Heidfeld added: "It definitely came unexpectedly. After Honda pulled out, and with the worldwide financial situation, I was always careful about trying to see how things were going on in the background.

"The feeling and feedback I always had was that we were safe and secure for the future. That is why it was a surprise."

Kubica also questioned BMW's timing with seven races remaining this year.

He said: "Normally you would try to keep your team as smooth as possible without any problems during the year and now we have this big topic which is not ideal."

Kubica, who has been linked with a move to Renault in 2010, said he was "open-minded" about his options for next season.

He said: "Leaving Hungary everything was fine, then days later was this kind of decision. It's very difficult to know what might happen in the future, that's why I'm quite open."

Heidfeld said he was confident he will find a drive for next year.

The 32-year-old German, who has started 160 races, was out of contract at the end of this season and said he is exploring his options.

"I feel as confident as before (about securing a drive for 2010)," said Heidfeld.

"It was not certain that I would be with BMW next year, so I was already in talks with other teams before the decision was made public."