At least four people died and two developed illness after inhaling a poisonous gas allegedly leaked in a steel plant in Orissa's Sambalpur district on Sunday evening, police said.
The mishap occurred in the plant of Bhushan Power & Steel Limited located at Thelkoloi village, some 350 km from here.
"Four people died and I saw their dead bodies. They had no injuries" District Superintendent of Police Sanjay Kumar told IANS.
"They have allegedly died after inhaling some poisonous gas" he said. We are investigating the matter although the company has not yet informed us formally about the incident" he said.
Company officials were not available for comment. It was not immediately known whether the deceased were employees of the company or private workers. The two people who developed illness were admitted in a private hospital at nearby Burla town.