Four die in Hyundai factory gas leak
Four persons died of asphyxiation after inhaling methane gas while cleaning up a sewage tank at the Hyundai Factory, 40 kms from Chennai, reports GC Shekhar.india Updated: Dec 21, 2007 00:58 IST
Four persons died of asphyxiation after inhaling methane gas while cleaning up a sewage tank at the Hyundai Factory, 40 kms from Chennai.
According to fire service personnel during maintenance work at the car factory’s second plant the supervisor of the contract workers, on finding a foul smell emanating from a sewage tank, directed the workers to find out the cause.
The worker who entered the tank, where wastes of paints and other chemicals were stored, died immediately of asphyxiation due to the heavy presence of methane in the pit. The supervising engineer Maran, who went to the workers rescue also collapsed when he peeped into the tank and fell into it.
Two other workers who tried to help their superior also died of asphyxiation and their bodies too were found inside the sewage tank.
Another worker was found unconscious and has been hospitalized. The bodies wee discovered only on Saturday morning while the mishap had occurred on late Friday evening.