Fresh violence in Kashmir, curfew reimposed | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Dec 09, 2016-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Fresh violence in Kashmir, curfew reimposed

india Updated: Sep 12, 2010 22:33 IST

Highlight Story

Police fired in the air and lobbed teargas shells after a mob attacked a J&K minister's house on a day when 20 persons were injured in clashes in the Valley and curfew was reimposed here and six other towns and cases lodged against Hurriyat chief Mirwaiz Umer Farooq.

A mob indulged in heavy stone pelting this morning on the house of state education minister Peerzada Mohammad Sayeed at Damhal-Khushipora in Kokernag area of Anantnag, 55 kms from here, a police spokesman said, adding police fired teargas shells to disperse the attackers.

The Minister, who had gone to his native place to celebrate Eid and was present in the house along with his family, escaped unhurt.

Sources said police also fired several rounds in air to control the situation as the protesters tried to storm the house of the Congress leader resulting in bullet injury to one Salim Ahmad Malik.

Curfew, which had been lifted from the entire Kashmir Valley on September nine ahead of Eid, was reimposed in Srinagar city, south Kashmir towns of Anantnag, Bijbehara Pulwama, Kakapora and Sopore and Baramulla towns in the north, sources said.

The decision to clamp curfew in the city and other parts of the Valley was taken after a high-level meeting of civil and security forces officials here last night, they said.

Jammu and Kashmir police has registered three cases against separatist leaders including Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, chairman of the moderate faction of Hurriyat Conference, over burning of government properties by a mob during a protest rally here yesterday.

Defying curfew, a mob attacked security forces at Azad Gunj in Baramulla town of North Kashmir injuring eight policemen, a police spokesman said.

He said a CRPF Mobile bunker also suffered minor damages after the mob attacked it with a petrol bomb.

The spokesman said miscreants torched a government middle school Wangam-Kralgund, 90 kms from here in Handwara area of North Kashmir Kupwara district.

He said the school was gutted in the blaze in which all the records perished.

Security forces also fired several warning shots and lobbed teargas shells to disperse stone-pelting mobs at Gawkadal in the heart of Srinagar.