At least two people were killed and six others were taken seriously ill after inhaling liquid ammonia that leaked from a faulty valve at the Coromandel fertiliser plant at Kakinada in Andhra Pradesh on Monday evening.
Deputy Chief Inspector of Factories K. Parameswara Rao said that the liquid ammonia that was being unloaded from a ship to a tanker leaked when the gasket in the tank ruptured.
He said that on noticing the leak, two operators, D. Madhusudan Rao(52) and G. Ramaprasad (48) rushed to plug it. But they fell unconscious and died soon after. Fire fighting personnel from nearby factories and the state fire brigade helped plug the leak. Police said that 40 people were admitted to local hospital.
Rao said that negligence case was booked against the company. “We will take necessary action against the company management,” he said. People in nearby Vakalapadu village complained of breathing problems.