German woman rape convict has fled, say cops | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Apr 26, 2017-Wednesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

German woman rape convict has fled, say cops

india Updated: Dec 18, 2006 21:12 IST

The son of a senior Orissa police official convicted of raping a German woman and serving a prison sentence in Jaipur has fled, alleged jail officials but his parents in Bhubaneswar maintain that he has not come home.

Bitti Hotra Mohanty, who was convicted of raping a 26-year-old German woman in March this year in Alwar by a fast track court, was serving his seven-year sentence in Jaipur Jail.

The 23-year-old management student had been let off on parole, but failed to return after its expiry.

After failing to find his whereabouts, the police of Rajasthan and Orissa decided to speed up their search for him. In his application, Bitti had asked for a 15-day parole saying his mother was ill.

The Orissa police had recommended for Biti's parole and his father, Bidya Bhusan Mohanty, Director General of Police (Home Guard), was one of the sureties.

"The prisoner had flouted the rules. The matter has been brought before the court, the district collector and other concerned officials of the state. The Jaipur and Orissa police have been directed to arrest Bitti immediately," said JK Sharma, Inspector General, Jails.

"A notice is being served to the father of Bitti, who was his surety," said Rajeshwar Singh, district collector.

Bitti was released on November 20 on the condition that he would have to mark his presence on every alternate day at the Vaishali Nagar Police station in Jaipur.

Police officials in Vaishali Nagar said nobody had come to mark Bitti's presence during the parole period.

His father said in Bhubaneswar: "Bitti has not come home after he was granted parole."

"I had earlier applied for parole for my son, but it was not granted. My son applied for parole as he was under depression. He was granted parole from November 20 to December 4. He is not in Bhubaneswar."

Amarananda Patnaik, director general of Orissa Police, said in Bhubaneswar on Monday that Orissa police had received a telegraphic message from their Rajasthan counterparts informing that Bitti had not reported back after the expiry of his parole.