Ghar ka khaana
HT Café reader Dr Nitin Mehta shares her recipe for Surti Papdi Na Ghughraindia Updated: Mar 12, 2009 20:41 IST
HT Café reader Dr Nitin Mehta shares her recipe for Surti Papdi Na Ghughra
* 500 gms Surti papdi (preferably tender as both seeds as well as pods have to be used) n 3 cups wheat flour n 2 tbsp rawa
* 2–3 tsp green chilli and ginger paste
* 1 bunch of fresh green garlic or 8 –10 pods
* Salt to taste
* 1 tsp black pepper powder
* A pinch of hing
* Whole red dry chillies for tadka
* Oil for deep frying and the dough
* One-bunch coriander, cut fine
* 1/2 cup fresh grated coconut
1. Clean papdi, wash and drain.
2. Pressure cook the papdi without water. Keep on full fire initially. After the first whistle reduce heat. Cook for two more whistles on low heat.
3. Remove from the fire and cool and dry it completely, in a thali.
4. Grind the beans, salt, black pepper powder in a mixer to make a paste.
5. Make a tempering. Heat one tablespoon oil and add two dry red chillies and hing.
6. Add the tempering, coriander and coconut to the papdi mixture well. Keep aside.
7. Make a stiff dough with wheat flour, rawa, two tbsp oil.
8. Make small balls, roll it to the size of a thick puri and put 1-1/2 tsp of the papdi mixture in the centre. Fold the puri and seal the edges to make a semi circle. Fold the edges like ghughra or use a karanji mould.
9. Deep-fry five to six pieces at a time on a low fire till they turn from pink to golden brown. Keep the remaining dough covered with a cloth while you are frying the earlier lot.
Serve with green coriander chutney or ketchup.