Ghaziabad: 150 people booked for riots in Loni | india | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 28, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Ghaziabad: 150 people booked for riots in Loni

india Updated: Aug 20, 2014 00:38 IST
Peeyush Khandelwal

The Ghaziabad police have booked 150 people under stringent sections of the IPC and other laws for rioting on Monday.

The local administration was forced to call in para-military forces in Loni, which borders the national Capital, as hundreds of protesters clashed with the police after rumours of an alleged rape victim’s death and the accused being let off spread in the UP town.

The police slapped charges of attempt to murder, promoting enmity between different groups on grounds of religion, race, etc., assault or criminal force to deter public servants from discharge of his duty, mischief by fire or explosive substance with intent to destroy house, as well as provisions of the Criminal Law Amendment Act against unidentified rioters.

Two police post in-charges were also suspended on Tuesday night on charges of dereliction of duties.

The police are also investigating if some local politicians were involved in inciting passions that led to the riots.

“We are zeroing-in on some people who may have instigated the local residents to perpetrate violence. These people will be dealt with sternly,” a senior police officer said.

The police lodged an FIR in the murder case of a 29-year-old auto-driver who was shot dead on Monday morning by unidentified people near the area where riots took place.

The victim’s brother-in-law, Jameel, lodged a complaint against the auto-owner Zuber and another unidentified person at Loni police station.

“We called the complainant for getting details. We hope the murder was not a part of the riots but an isolated incident,” superintendent of police Jagdish Sharma told HT.

On Tuesday, the nine-year-old rape victim was produced before a magistrate at a Ghaziabad court where her statement was recorded under CrPC section 164.

The girl’s mother alleged that they had been confined to the women police station since Monday morning.

The investigating officer, however, said the family was allowed to leave after their statements were recorded.