National Investigation Agency (NIA), probing the 2009 Goa blast, has taken custody of Sanatan Sanstha member Prashant Juvekar for allegedly conspiring to carry out the Diwali-eve bombing.
The 24-year-old was arrested by Maharashtra ATS late last month in an illegal arms seizure case. He was granted
bail in the case by a Nashik court yesterday.
"NIA, probing the Goa blast, has taken the custody of Juvekar after completing all legal formalities," a senior ATS
official told PTI today.
He was one of the 11 Sanstha members named in the charge sheet by NIA in the blast in Margao, where two persons
were killed while allegedly ferrying explosives in a scooter.
ATS arrested Juvekar from Bhusawal in Jalgaon district on July 31. A 7.65 mm pistol and four live cartridges were
recovered from him and he was booked under the Arms Act, the charge sheet had said.
Juvekar, who hails from Ratnagiri in Maharashtra's Konkan region, was in ATS custody till August 3 after which he
was sent in judicial custody by the Nashik court.
With Juvekar in NIA custody, the number of suspects arrested in the blast case has gone up to six. Those named in
the charge sheet include Malgonda Patil and Yogesh Naik, who were killed in the October 2009 explosion.
According to the ATS, Juvekar was a prime conspirator and had met Patil on August 23 last year. The duo went to a
secluded location where the former was trained in making explosives and they discussed the blast conspiracy, it said.
Since the blast, Juvekar had been frequently changing his location to evade arrest, police said, adding he stayed in Malad here for sometime and travelled to places like Baroda, Rajkot, Ahmedabad, Lucknow, Delhi, Varanasi and Bihar.
The other five arrested are Vinay Talekar, Vinayak Patil, Dhananjay Ashtekar, Dilip Mangaonkar and Prashant
Ashtekar. The absconding accused are Sarang Akolkar, Jayaprakash alias Anna and Rudra Patil.