Govt committed to compensate flood victims: Mufti

  • HT Correspondent, None, Anantnag
  • Updated: Jun 22, 2015 19:54 IST

Chief minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed on Monday said that his government was committed to compensate the flood victims in the state.

The Mufti assured that people whose houses have been damaged in September 2014 floods would be adequately compensated before the onset of winter this year.

"The central team is soon visiting the state to take stock of the post-flood situation, but I assure that the state government is committed to adequately compensate those people who lost their homes in last year's floods," he said.

The chief minister gave these assurances while chairing the District Development Board (DDB) meetings of Anantnag and Kulgam.

While `186.15 crore annual plan for Anantnag district, a big leap from `68 crore allocated under capital head last year, has been approved, for district Kulgam, a capital plan outlay of `126.44 crore has been okayed.

Addressing the legislators and officers in the board meetings, chief minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed stated that the move from plan expenditure to developmental spending will test our ability to create productive assets and avail benefits of social sector schemes, which for long have remained our achilles heel.

He said previously the credit plans were never monitored resulting in creation of huge liabilities and unfinished projects as well as failure of the departments to utilise the inbuilt subsidy component of centrally-sponsored schemes' kitty of `6,000 crore allocated to the state.

For making DDB meetings effective, Mufti Sayeed called upon the chairmen of all district boards to ensure implementation of decisions so that its benefits percolate to the people on ground. "Decentralisation of expenditure will ensure greater efficiency and monitoring of developmental projects and capacity building of our youth under various central schemes," he added.

also read

WTO meet: India calls for level playing field in agri-trade
Show comments