The Kerala government on Wednesday confirmed a news report that two women tourists were molested by forest guides in Kollam district a few months back and said two of three attackers had already been arrested.
Replying to a submission by VD Satheesan (Cong), Forest Minister Binoy Viswam said the duo were tracked down by police and forest vigilance department, based on a Malayalam news portal's report last week "They were arrested and remanded to custody a few days back," he said.
The three, all temporary forest guides, reportedly stripped and harassed the woman and her daughter after tying the woman's husband to a tree and took their semi-nude pictures using mobile phones.
Viswam said the trio have been charged with cases under IT act (for taking pictures in mobile phone) and indecent behaviour towards women), but that the government was keen on bringing more serious charges against them under Sec 307 IPC (attempt to murder).
He said police have so far have not been able to trace the victims, hailing from Tamil Nadu and that no written complaint has been received from them.
Viswam said police were trying to contact them so that more serious charges could be brought against the accused.