Nepal's government and Maoist rebels hoped Tuesday to finalise a UN-sponsored agreement spelling out measures to disarm and disband the insurgents as part of a wide-reaching peace pact, officials said.
The agreement would see tens of thousands of rebel fighters confined to seven camps under UN supervision ahead of elections next year.
It would also compel them to hand in their weapons under an amnesty, although details of how many weapons and under what manner they would be locked up were still being worked out.
Rebel negotiator Dinanath Sharma said they were trying to complete the agreement and possibly sign it by Tuesday.
The issue of rebel fighters and weapons has been the biggest concern in the peace process.
The government and the rebels signed a formal peace accord last week, which marked the end of a 10-year conflict that killed more than 13,000 people.
As part of the agreement, rebel fighters would be confined to camps until elections planned for next year.
Thousands of fighters have already reached the seven areas where these camps are to be built, but there is no infrastructure in place yet, reports have said.
The government has allocated some money for building the camps and UN has said they are in the process of bringing in monitors.
The rebels have also been guaranteed a place in an interim government that will lead the country until the 2007 polls.