Govt non-commital on joint census
The government remains non-committal on holding an OBC census along with general census in 2011, reports Chetan Chauhan.india Updated: Apr 28, 2007 21:24 IST
The government on Saturday remained non-committal on holding an OBC census along with general census in 2011.
The Supreme Court had stayed implementation of 27 per cent OBC quota questioning the 1931 census as basis for deriving the population of OBCs. Questioning the basis, the apex court had observed that whatever might have been relevant in 1931 might have some relevant, but it cannot be the determinative factor.
Home Minister Shivraj Patil said that there were legal hurdles involved in conducting such a census while stating that the issue was being considered by the government. "The matter is under consideration of the government as to how to adopt a new policy. There are some legal hurdles. How to prove if someone claims he or she is from a particular community," Patil said, maintaining that the government was neither in favour or against the move.
Following the court’s verdict on OBC quota, the government had earlier clarified that it was not possible to conduct an OBC census before 2011. It was also pointed out that in 1951, the then Home Minister Sardar Patel had shot down a proposal to conduct caste based census believing that it can reap the seeds of division in the country. The government is still wary of conducting any such census, officials said.