Govt rejects conditional ceasefire offer by Maoists
Responding to the ceasefire offer by Maoists, Government today made it clear that it will not accept any pre-conditions for talks with "ifs and buts" and asked the militants to come out with a simple statement saying they will abjure violence. Hours after truce offer, Naxals attack CRPF camp | Full coverageindia Updated: Feb 23, 2010 16:16 IST
Responding to the ceasefire offer by Maoists, Government today made it clear that it will not accept any pre-conditions for talks with "ifs and buts" and asked the militants to come out with a simple statement saying they will abjure violence.
"I would like no ifs, no buts and no conditions," Home Minister P Chidambaram said in a statement, a day after the CPI(Maoists) made a conditional ceasefire offer asking the Government to halt the offensive against them for 72 days and
involve mediators for talks.
He said Government has seen many versions of a statement reportedly made by the leaders of the CPI (Maoist). "In the
absence of an authentic statement, Government is unable to respond to these versions," the statement said.
Nevertheless, in order to clear the air, the Home Minister said, "I would like a short, simple statement from the CPI (Maoist) saying 'We will abjure violence and we are prepared for talks'".
Chidambaram said he would like the statement to be faxed to Home Ministry number 011-23093155.
"Once I receive the statement, I shall consult the Prime Minister and other colleagues and respond promptly," he said.
Last night, top Maoist leader Kishenji told the media over phone from an undisclosed place that "state governments
and the Centre should not indulge in violence between February 25 and May 7 and concentrate on development of tribal areas, which will be reciprocated by Maoists".
He was responding to Chidamabaram's statement last week that if the Maoists halted violence for 72 hours, the government would be ready for talks with them.