THE ALL-INDIA Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) has virtually lost all hopes of a fresh notification by the Mulayam Singh Yadav Government in the Babri Masjid demolition case. With the time running out fast, the State Government has adopted a stoic silence on the issue. Even the State Government skirted the issue during the hearing of a review petition in the Supreme Court last month.
After shooting off several letters to Chief Minister Mulayam Singh Yadav the board has now veered round to the view that the government was against issuing fresh notification clubbing the two cases for political reasons.
Talking to Hindustan Times on Saturday AIMPLB member Zafaryab Jilani said, “neither the government has so far taken any decision nor there is any assurance on the issue”. He said even the CBI during the hearing in the apex court last month had pleaded for a fresh notification for speedy trial in the demolition case. But the State Government counsel remained silent on the issue.
There is feeling in the board that the chief minister has not kept his promise on Babri Masjid issue. Despite several requests during the past three years, the refusal to issue a fresh notification has upset the board. Yadav, while out of power in UP, had vociferously advocated for a fresh notification in the Lok Saha “but after coming to power he has been delaying the matter, said a board member.
The board has been demanding a fresh notification in the demolition case so that the two cases (number 197 and 198) could be clubbed together. While the Babri demolition conspiracy case (198) involving BJP leader LK Advani, Dr MM Joshi and others is pending in the Rae Bareli court, the demolition case (197) is in Lucknow court.
The board said that both the cases were of similar nature and connected with one incident.