Govt warns Pak over ceasefire violations, says Indian armed forces 'fully ready'

  • HT Correspondent and Agencies, Hindustan Times, New Delhi
  • Updated: Oct 06, 2014 21:46 IST

Defence minister Arun Jaitley on Monday deplored the ceasefire violations by Pakistan and said the Indian armed forces were "fully ready" and are responding to each of these provocations from across the border.

He told Pakistan that it should realise that the kind of environment it was generating between the two countries was certainly not going to help in normalising relations.

Reacting to the continuous ceasefire violations, the minister said Pakistan has been trying to create tension in both the international border and Line of Control (LoC).

"This is resulting in a series of ceasefire violations as a result of which innocent civilians have lost their lives.

Pakistan must realise that the kind of environment it is generating between the two countries is certainly not going to help in normalising relations. The onus of creating a positive environment is on Pakistan which is utterly failing to do so.

"Let everybody be assured that our armed forces and para-military forces are fully ready and they are responding to each of these provacations from Pakistan," Jaitley said.

Condemning the shelling, union home minsiter Rajnath Singh said “Pakistan should stop ceasefire violations now and should realise that the situation in India has changed”.

Read: Five dead, 29 wounded in Pak shelling on border

Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Omar Abdullah said the targeting of civilian areas exposed the frustration of the Pakistani government after its failure to gain international attention on the Kashmir issue.

"They (the Pakistani leadership) have nothing else to speak, but only Kashmir. Whenever they go abroad, they try to raise only Kashmir issue, but every time they miserably fail to get international attention. The cross-border shelling is an indication of their frustration," he told reporters after meeting civilians injured in the shelling at the Government Medical College Hospital in Jammu.

Union minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said the government has given instructions to the army to reply to the ceasefire violations.

"The Army has been instructed to reply to the ceasefire violations and it is acting on the issue," Prasad told reporters.

Condemning Pakistan's actions, former external affairs minister Salman Khurshid said it is despicable that such incidents have occurred on Eid. "There cannot be anything worse than this," the Congress leader said.

Five civilians were killed and 29 wounded in firing by Pakistani forces along a stretch of the border in Jammu district on Monday, the heaviest firing between the two countries since India called off bilateral talks last month.

The latest firing is the eleventh time Pakistani troops have violated the ceasefire since October 1, a Border Security Forces (BSF) official said. This is probably the highest number of civilian deaths in a single day in shelling. Even when firing was at its highest between July and August, two people died in the 45 days shells rained down on the border.

Read: Sweet nothings at Wagah, Pakistan and India keep it grim

also read

One-man judicial panel on OROP submits report to Parrikar
Show comments